Rate/Salary: Competitive depending on experience
Starting Date: early ‘19
The last six months have been really exciting for Microserve. We’re growing in size and stature, and we’re cementing our reputation as one of the strongest agencies in our sector. We have some high-profile projects in the pipeline and are looking for a passionate, enthusiastic and self-motivated full-stack developer to join our development team to help make our digital delivery the best in the business.
About the job
You will be working alongside other Microserve team members to plan, build and support websites for a wide range of clients. We are looking for someone who is comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams, who has a passion for all things to do with web development and a keen interest in Drupal.
In this role, you will:
- Work with our digital producers, UX designers and developers to define requirements and proposed technical approaches for implementing the right solution for clients.
- Help develop custom functionality for our clients’ websites.
- Build web services and work with various APIs.
- Provide support and maintenance for our client’s existing websites.
- Contribute to website audits, providing customers with a thorough analysis of their website’s user interface, custom functionality and back-end architecture including suggesting recommendations to reduce technical risk and improve efficiency.
- Support other members of Microserve’s development team through training, peer review and knowledge shares.
- Write blog posts for the Microserve website to discuss web development technologies and approaches to Drupal development.
- Help to improve our development methods and practices and keep up-to-date with the latest development trends.
- Share your knowledge and experience with the team through both organised and informal activities.
The following skills and experience are a must:
- Comfortable working with CSS pre-processors like LESS and SASS.
- Thorough knowledge of build tools and package managers such as NPM, Grunt, Gulp, Webpack and Composer.
- Excellent knowledge of PHP and understanding of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts.
- Experience working with APIs and data in multiple formats, eg JSON/XML.
- Experience interacting with databases using SQL.
- Understanding of version control systems (we use Git).
- A good understanding of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0/2.1.
- Experience or familiarity of working with Drupal 7 and 8.
- Experience of working in a busy development environment.
- Ability to understand problems and explain the complexity of them clearly in plain English to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to write clear documentation and understand the need for it.
- Ability to make decisions quickly and with authority.
- Have great communication and interpersonal skills, and a good sense of humour.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle with a keen interest in user experience.
It would be great if you have:
- Familiarity with CI/CD and devOps practices.
- Understanding of Agile development principles.
- Experience with Unit Testing and Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Experience of server setup with Apache or Nginx.
A few perks
- A friendly and supportive work environment with regular knowledge-sharing events between team members.
- Annual budget for training and personal development.
- Opportunities to gain professional certifications and qualifications.
- Pension scheme with employer contributions.
- Flexible working arrangements considered.
- Your choice of hardware to work on.
- Regular team socials.
- A well-stocked supply of free drinks and snacks.
- Employee Assistance Programme for confidential counselling and advice.
- Brilliant central location in an iconic building with amazing views.
- 'Bike hub’ with showers, lockers, and space to lock up your bike.